Monday 28 May 2012

Follow-up and Giddy-up

Here's a shot of the 70s ensemble I put together for the 'do on Saturday night. It was actually a bit intense, with peops asking, 'who I was?', when in fact, I'd just styled together some favourites from the armoire.
There were some serious impersonations going on.
But thankfully, I didn't have to trot anything back to the Hire Shop on Monday morning.
I don't want anyone to think I am one of these people who go on about lots of frippery, but never actually get much done. So, apart from being absentia from the Embroiderers' Guild (whose lovely member's work is above),
I've achieved quite a bit.
I've swung into action and had a Flora swing tag designed. Here's a look at the draft impression.
It's designed by a clever young thing, who made it a one-of-a-kind floral overlay artwork.
I love it!

The Embroiderers' Guild sure has been under pressure of late, they are holding their biennial exhibition from this Saturday.
Get in there, it'll be lovely, as always.
Here's what they say about it,
THE EMBROIDERERS’ GUILD QUEENSLAND INC.
Presents
Our Biennial Needlework Exhibition
EMBROIDERED TREASURES
at
149 Brunswick Street
Fortitude Valley, Brisbane
From
Saturday 2nd June 2012 until & including Saturday 9th June 2012Monday to Friday open 9.30am, closing 3.30pm. Last admission 2.30pm
Saturday & Sunday open 9.30am, closing 4.00pm. Last admission 3.30pm
Entry fee $7 includes Catalogue
Gift Shop
Light refreshments available
Members will exhibit an extensive variety of techniques and creativity in 12
categories including Young Embroiderers and a Retrospective of members
cherished Embroidered Treasures
The upstairs display area will feature a Treasure Trove of beautifully
embroidered and embellished Heritage Items selected by our Curators from
“The Joan Selnes Collection”
Contacts: Kate Sinkinson (07) 3202 5484 Email: info@embroiderersguildqld.org.au
Jenny Jorgensen (07) 3390 5839 Web: www.embroiderersguildqld.org.au

Remember my striking efforts? Here's the succulent garden, in all its struck glory!
I planted the miniatures on Sunday, the whole project's cost me nothing.
I found an old terracotta dish in the shed, sprayed shabby chic white and threw in a bit of dirt.
I've also actioned a day at the Races in Brisbane, at Doomben!
So, everyone will be able to trot out their Floras, and get a bit of show pony action.
Before Doomben, one of these Flora's is off to the Caloundra Cup, on the Sunshine Coast.


I'm going to make a Flora to style this felted jockey style cap, since it's our Winter Racing Carnival.

I've also found this 80s style collar necklace to bling up my suit with.
Don't panic L, I'm not going to wear it over the Akira, it's just hanging there.
Akira, if you are reading, please take note as above, and remember you still haven't replied to the email
I sent you about our artistic collaboration!
The collar cost next to nothing, it's a lot of bling for your buck.
It was bought to take my mind off this:
Josh Goot's digital rose print frock, skirt and jacket.


The ultimate in Flora fashion.

Hopefully, this will be what our day at the Races might include!
I've had to action some tough love with the animal residents in the House of Flora. I've sent the french bull-dog's psychiatric profile to a dog whisperer.
I tried some years ago with the poodle, and got ignored.
This time my plea for help might be recognised.
The frenchie is a little socially inept, quite boisterous and has no sense of personal space, even in doggie degrees.
 I've contacted Dr Harry, asap!
I'm also on the cat's case.
Is it possible for a cat to look like this?
 If indeed, you've fed it two half cups of this, each day for six years?
It just doesn't make sense.
If you are reading this post, and are feeding this cat, please stop!

Do you watch SBS news? That situation in Syria makes me nothing but sad, and today's massacre in Houla leaves me speechless. I never really understood people who say, 'Oh, I don't watch the news, it's too awful'. Yes, it is, but I think you have to be aware of what is going on.
Whenever I listen to the atrocities being committed in Syria, I also think of the terrible loss of foreign correspondent Marie Colvin last February. To be honest, some years ago, I was first drawn to her because of her sharp fashion sense and eye-patch, and then I learned of what she did.
The mother of journalist Marie Colvin, who died in a rocket attack in Syria, said her daughter was on the verge of leaving the city because it was so dangerous.
Rosemarie Colvin described her daughter as passionate about her work, even when it got extremely hard. The 55-year-old Sunday Times reporter died alongside French photographer Remi Ochlik, 28, in a rocket attack on the besieged city of Homs. Speaking from her home in East Norwich, New York, Mrs Colvin said: 'She was supposed to leave (Syria),' adding that her daughter had spoken yesterday with her editor at the Sunday Times who ordered her to leave because it was so dangerous. Mrs Colvin said: 'She had to stay. She wanted to finish one more story.'The award-winning journalist was the eldest of five children and is survived by her mother, two sisters and two brothers.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2104711/Marie-Colvin-Sunday-Times-reporter-leave-Syria-day-died-says-mother.html#ixzz1w9kW3oxY







No comments:

Post a Comment