Monday 20 April 2015

Too Much is Never Enough

 I've been working on this pretty pink frippery where too much is never enough,
then I packed up to go to Brisbane Baroque 2015.
Don't click away because you are about to meet mezzo-soprano
Elizabeth Lewis.
You will be smitten.
She is the loveliest.
  
 I shut up the House of Flora last week and traipsed out with Mr Fascinata to enjoy Dido and Aeneas
part of the Brisbane Baroque music festival.
I would be lying if I said I didn't love it.
With the stunning mezzo-soprano Elizabeth Lewis
who played poor old Dido the Queen of Carthages.
The story is thin on the ground with me, so if you beg to differ, please do.
Dido was overlooked by that Trojan hero Aeneas and some witches cause all sorts of frippery.
At one stage I thought I heard them sing, 'crocodile'.
That's about all I could understand.
The acoustics were brilliant, it was my heathen ears.
The venue was City Hall.
That I do know.
 In keeping with the Italian theme we had a Prosecco before-hand.
 City Hall's lovely façade had its banners billowing.

 Brisbane Baroque.

 Every thing is a weird shade of blue under the dome's arch.
 

 Here's Elizabeth being harassed by the so-called witches.


 And at the end, bereft and distraught.
Full-scale frippery.


 We waited a bit for Elizabeth Lewis outside the stage-door
because I really wanted a photograph with her.
Elizabeth sang at our Wedding.
Here she is at the 'do back in 2011.
 She sang three songs: Ave Maria, Panus Angelicus and It's a Wonderful World.
If you know a mezzo-soprano I highly recommend this treat.
You won't be sorry.
While waiting I took artistic license, telling Mr Fascinata we were doing a fashion-shoot
for Architectural Digest and he obliged accordingly to pass the time.
 









Here's Elizabeth's details.
You better get in quick.
She is in Melbourne at the moment studying with Opera Victoria.

Apart from sitting through a Baroque opera
I am about to re-read Dale Carnegie's book, "How to Stop
Worrying, and Start Living'.
Written in the 1950s.
I had to re-read the dead dog analogy a few times but it does make sense.
There's also another anecdote about how a man de-stressed by watching his wife do the dishes
on a regular basis.
I know.
How are you getting on?
Is too much, too much?
Or, just enough?

 



9 comments:

  1. Too much is too much... Of some things. Wine and chocolate, unfortunately.
    I like the phrase "enough is as good as s feast".
    Love how you matched the choice of bubbly with the occasion- a lady after my own heart.
    Stay glam xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - like that one - 'enough is as good as a feast' that's humble and nice. Beautiful saying.
      Love Prosecco it is much lighter to drink than champs.
      Xxxx

      Delete
  2. In poker jargon, I'll 'see' your Mezzo Soprano, and 'raise' you one Diva child in a Disney musical. Yes indeedy. No swanky City Hall and Prosecco here, but many matinees of Disney stuff and wishy-washy tea in Styrofoam cups. Go on. You know you're envious. Admit it. Isn't City Hall just the best in Olde Worlde style and glamour? Just the venue for a fabbo outfit and some bubbly. See you soon? Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mimi, I love you - you are hilarious. Sorry, can't keep a poker face. Xxx
      Would love to see you soon!

      Delete
  3. Oh sounds like a wonderful night out! I hope you managed to catch up with Elizabeth, how nice it would have been to chat to her after the show, especially when you had her sing at your wedding :)

    Also, I just have to say, that cocktail ring is beautiful! What a stunning piece :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mica, we did! You would adore her - she is utterly lovely! Keep an eye on her career path. Xx

      Delete
  4. You live a glamourous life! Love that cocktail ring x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm telling you I have a heart shaped diamond Cartier engagement ring on my left hand that never raises a comment and when I wear those $15 numbers people go rank. So funny. Xxx

      Delete
  5. This looks like it was an amazing time, so beautiful too :) xx

    ReplyDelete